Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Africa: Part 3

Wow, it has been awhile since I have blogged! Let me try to finish up the Bush trip tonight, and then soon hopefully I can finish up the WHOLE trip!

So, I ended with describing what the church looked like before, that many of our team was sick, boys were doing most of the work and the kids were precious.

At lunch time, we halted work to eat. We also had to wait on one of the missionaries to return from bringing the two sick girls back up to Ouaga. He had some tools we needed. Dusty killed this chicken for our dinner:

It was very messy! At this point in the day, clouds were forming and we hadn't even started putting the tin roof on the foundations we had put up. Larry arrived with the materials we needed and we realized we had to work quickly. A lady in town offered to let us stay in her house, which was very surprising as the people were not very receptive to Christians. The children in the village helped us bring our stuff to her house.

The work for the roof just took a couple people at a time. Nick and Hannah worked on it for one side, Nick and Susan on the other.

Amazing enough, with God's help, we finished the roof with no rain. This is when my heart really started to break. Please, take a moment to think about the churches in America that you've been to. Just think about what they look like, what kind of technology was used at the services, the music. This is what their church looked like.

Just a roof. And some posts. That's it. We need air conditioning, huge sanctuaries, gyms, classrooms, kitchens, PowerPoint's, lights, music, sound systems. All they wanted was this roof. This small area, no floor and no walls. That's it. The pastor of this church pastors a few other churches in the area. One man, Timothy, is in a wheel chair. It takes him two hours to get to the church every Sunday. We barely find the motivation to wake up by 10 am to drive 10 minutes to church in our cars with AC/heat. And we will never have the same faith they have. We would never consider worshiping all night. Or without air conditioning. We don't need God like they do.
After we finished dinner and started worshiping, it started to rain. Everyone took shelter in the church which gave the pastor an opportunity to give a message about truly knowing God. Do you really know Him? It was such a good sermon. And it was amazing because it was barely raining, just enough for us to get in the church, but not too much. All around us, it was thundering and lightening. Satan was furious at us and at the work we were doing but he couldn't get in to stop us. Our God is stronger. He is bigger.

They worshiped all night. I mean from 7 pm to 6 am. Amazing. Humbling. Heart breaking.

That night we slept at the kind woman's house. I felt very uncomfortable in the house, it was a tight fit, so I slept outside with a few others, even though it was still raining some. This was one of the nights where I felt a taste of what it was like to truly depend on God. I didn't stop praying until I fell asleep. I prayed for no rain. I prayed for the people of that village, for all the people we were meeting. I prayed for the lady whose house we were at, with fetishes outside. I depended on Him for my safety, comfort, for everything that night and for the whole trip really. I was totally out of control on this trip, having know idea where I was or how to speak to most of the people. I was trusting Him completely. This is something we rarely have to do in America.

We packed up the next morning, my heart so broken. Before we left, it broke again. We asked the Pastor, this amazing man who runs 4 churches and who spoke with more conviction and passion than I had heard back in the States. He got on his knees so we could pray for him.

We prayed, loaded the vans and headed back to Ouaga. Back to showers and real bathrooms. Back to the comforts of beds under roofs every night. A less limited supply of water.

This is it for tonight. I'll try to finish up soon. Thanks for reading!

--Nothing Without Him--

No comments:

Post a Comment